When you’re a student you’ll often find yourself staying in accommodation with smallish rooms and not enough storage space for your things. And, usually, you’re not allowed to make holes in the walls (voluntarily at least), which can somewhat restrict your ability to install clever storage solutions. So you need to get imaginative and creative with the space you do have. Here are some ideas to help you enjoy studying without having to fight your way through each room in your flat.
More stuff than you know what to do with?
When you arrived to study you only brought the ‘essentials’ with you – you know, stuff like drum kits, mini fridges, bike, and your entire collection of graphic novels. And you’ve most likely added to that while you’ve been living here. Which means you’ll now have a lot more stuff. So when you go home for the holidays, what do you do with your stuff? If your band only plays during term time, do you need to transport your drum kit home? Do you need all your notes over the summer? If you don’t, then we can help.
Travel light and arrive happier
We know you just want somewhere secure to store your stuff. We also know you don’t want to spend a fortune on it. You’ll be amazed at how much stuff you collect during a year at university or college. (You know keeping a traffic cone from a drunken night out isn’t one of life’s essentials, right?)
When the holidays come round, the last thing you’ll want to do is to take everything home with you. So don’t. Use us to ensure you travel light (safe in the knowledge that your stuff is being well looked after).
Why GTW is perfect for you
We offer flexible storage spaces – so there’s always one that works for what you need to store.
Here are some of the advantages of using our secure storage:
- City centre location, so it’s handy for you
- Free parking and great public transport links
- No security deposit required
- The most competitive prices around
- A fully secure facility, with security and smoke alarms
- Small units available – you only pay for the space you need
- Student offer – When you buy your first month, you get the second month free
Some top tips to help you
- Make sure the place you’re storing your stuff has a secure facility, security alarms and smoke alarms. (We offer all of these.)
- See if the upper levels of the storage facility are available – these are often cheaper than ground-floor spaces.
- Leave some room around your storage boxes to allow air circulation; this keeps your belongings from getting damaged by changing temperatures.
- Make a map of what’s in all of your boxes. Sure, you know what’s in each of them when you leave them. But how about next month? There are few things more frustrating than emptying boxes thinking “It’s definitely in this one.”
- Try to keep a path down the middle of your storage unit. So you can easily get your hands on the thingamajig you need that’s in a box right at the back of your unit. Or maybe you enjoy lifting more boxes than a powerlifter during a heavy training session?
- Never over-pack boxes – they’re much easier to stack if they have flat tops.
- If it’s tat, throw it out. It’s a horrible feeling when you get things back from storage (that you’ve been paying to store) and you then realise they’re useless. Be ruthless.
- This seems really obvious, but we’ll say it anyway – keep the things you use most often at the front of your storage unit. It’ll make any visit to your storage unit easier and quicker.
Students – take control of your storage
We know you don’t really like planning ahead. So don’t. Whenever you need you need some storage, just give us a call. We’re happy to show you round our storage facilities. Our knowledgeable, friendly staff will be on-hand to help you find the most cost effective storage option.
Give us a call or pop in to see how we can help you make more of your space.